Sunday, December 11, 2011

Getting Started


About three years ago, what started as a serious cleaning job turned into a full blown restoration of a 1977 Easterly 38 sailboat. Not knowing much about sailboats at the time and absolutely nothing about Easterly's, I started doing some research. So far, that research has turned up only a little information. Mostly I found other owners looking for information.

One man I traded emails with went so far as to drive down to Pearlington, Mississippi (where the Easterly Yacht Company built the boats) to see what he could dig up. He came up empty-handed.

So, I decided to start this blog as a meeting place for Easterly owners. Hopefully, this becomes the spot for owners to share ideas, problems, photos and other information that might benefit us all. Given the ages of Easterly boats, I'm sure a lot of them have been renovated and modified.

How many are out there? I'm not sure. I do know the various production numbers I have run across don't really add up. For instance: I have read that there were only six 38's made. That seems unlikely as there are three on my pier alone. I have also seen photos of at least three others and found info on a couple more. Maybe we'll figure it out.

In the mean time, spread the word and let me hear from you. Send photos to me and whatever information you have and I will post it.

2 comments:

  1. We have one and would love to share info

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know if this blog is still active. I'm the owner of what I think is hull number 0 since there is no hull number on my Easterly 38. She is almost ready for her voyage down to the Gulf and Bahamas after that. She is currently in Ten Mile, Tennessee. I'm the one who went down to Pearlington. The info I got from Donny Brennan(Mike's son, the guy who designed and built the Easterlys) was that there were only 6 made. But there again, someone may have bought the molds and made more.

    ReplyDelete